Each group of 10 otherwise unrelated tough questions has a theme running through its answers. Can you answer the questions and figure out the themes? Answers will be posted early next week.
1) What unsuccessful 1979 live action Disney sci-fi film was intended to compete with the Star Wars franchise?
2) What was the name of the TV show within the TV show Home Improvement?
3) What 1864 Jules Verne sci-fi classic begins in Iceland?
4) In what 2005 film does Russell Crowe play Jim Braddock?
5) What building stands at the NE corner of 2nd & Chestnut Sts. here in Philadelphia?
6) For what 2000 film did Benicio del Toro win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar?
7) What 1902 Joseph Conrad novella became the basis for the movie Apocalypse Now?
8) What character did Carl Weathers portray four times in a series of movies 1976-1985?
9) What American city is the largest in its state, the capital of its state and is located in a Suffolk County?
10) What European monarch reigned 1837-1901?
... and what theme links the ten answers?
Ray's Happy Birthday Bar:
In honor of the beginning of baseball season, the first 9 questions of the fifth round served as the theme formers, and the final "extra innings" question did not.
1) What 15-time All-Star played for the San Diego Padres 1978-1981 and St. Louis Cardinals 1982-1996?
2) Who pitched for the Dodgers 1954-55 only, yet had his number retired by them?
3) Who finished his career with 573 home runs, beginning with the Washington Senators in 1954 and retiring after the 1975 season with the Kansas City Royals?
4) What very famous baseball Hall of Famer attended Columbia University on a football scholarship and studied engineering?
5) What Cincinnati Reds Hall of Famer led the NL in RBIs in 1970, 1972 and 1974?
6) What Hall of Famer was born in Donora, Pennsylvania to Polish immigrants in 1920?
7) What Hall of Famer was known as the "Oklahoma Kid"?
8) What Boston Red Sox player was the AL MVP and Triple Crown batting champ in 1967?
9) What Pittsburgh Pirate hit the first-ever World Series-winning home run in 1960 against the New York Yankees?
... and what theme links the nine answers?