Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sofa Kingdom barely misses Top 10 All-Time List in a high-scoring affair at Dirty Frank's

The second team to win after a drought this week were Philadelphia quiz bullies Sofa Kingdom, who barely missed the Top Ten All-Time List. Pending my research on an Unreasonably Difficult round baseball question I might have to bump their score up 1 point for posterity, but this would still leave them one measly point short of Group V's #10 position. UPDATE: Yep, Frank Thomas missed the World Series too. I'm adding a point to Sofa Kingdom's score.

There were a lot of new faces I'd like to see back. One team called the bar after the game was over and your bouncer Captain informed me that a complaint was lodged about my Fort Ticonderoga question. That certainly hasn't happened before! The complaint was that the general whose name I wanted was merely a colonel at the time of the capture. Hey, I didn't say anything about anyone's rank at the time. For example when anyone asks the question "What general graduated at the top of his class at West Point in such-and-such year?" we obviously mean that this person was a successful cadet who later became a general. In any event, how many commanding American officers captured that fort in 1775..? (I'm not revealing the answer as it's a component of the Secret Theme round, questions below.) Hopefully this hasn't tainted anyone's view of the quiz and people shall return.

Everyone did very well and I don't think it's because the questions were unusually easy. Kudos to the whole darn room, I think 73 is the "highest lowest" score at Frank's ever.

Beautiful Gold: Sofa Kingdom 174 (revised)
So-So Silver: Einstein Disguised as Robin Hood 166
Shameful, Shameful Bronze: Group W 151

Also-rans:

Relentless 107
Kenya 102
The Southpaws 100
It's! People! 73

Digg!
Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank Thomas was indeed off the White Sox' playoff roster due to injury. It looks like Harmon Killebrew made the World Series with the Twins though, so the score stays the same (not that it really matters.) Incidentally, Rafael Palmeiro never made a World Series either.

Chris Randolph said...

Cool. Thanks for checking that out. Actually Sofa gets the extra point for Thomas; I credited Harom Killebrew for everyone. Palmeiro too?! Geez, that was my worst...question...ever.