Each group of 10 otherwise unrelated tough questions has a theme running through its answers. Can you answer the questions and figure out the themes? Answers will be posted early next week.
In all honesty I reused an old round because there were a lot of small, even one-person, teams and I wanted to slip in something I knew was easier for a crowd before. I'll try to have a 100% new game this week.
Ray's Happy Birthday Bar:
1) What Aussie post-punk band (1977-1983) did Nick Cave front before the Bad Seeds?
2) Who was the leader of the Soviet Union in between Nikita Khrushchev and Yuri Andropov?
3) What famed rock critic did Philip Seymour Hoffman play in the 2000 movie Almost Famous?
4) What musician was born Saul Hudson in England in 1965?
5) What comedian was arrested in Miami in 1951 for impersonating a priest?
6) In 1910, American amateur geologist Frank Bursley Taylor was first to publish a paper about what now generally accepted geologic concept?
7) In the 2006 animated feature The Ant Bully, what did the ants call "sweetrocks"?
8) What term do biologists use to describe interdependence between species?
9) What Beatles song reached #1 in December 1964, has the B-side "She's a Woman", and appeared on LP in the US on the album Beatles '65?
10) What NBA expansion team joined the league in 1970 and has played at the Quicken Loans Arena since 1994?
As part of the one film program, the theme is a movie title.
1) What 1981 movie was directed by Louis Malle, had a screenplay written by the two main characters and was filmed in an abandoned hotel in Richmond, VA as a stand-in for an operating hotel in Manhattan?
2) For what 1956 film did George Stevens win the Best Director Oscar?
3) What 1968 B-movie about terrorizing bikers is best remembered for its soundtrack, which featured Cream and Iron Butterfly?
4) What well-known American actor was featured as "Der Filmstar" in the 1987 Wim Wenders Palme d'Or-winning film Der Himmel über Berlin?
5) Who played Jenny Curran in Forrest Gump?
6) What 1988 thriller about the end of the world featured Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham and was directed by Steve DeJarratt?
7) Who played God in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) and then Satan in Needful Things (1993)?
8) What 1982 movie took place on the planet Thra?
9) What popular 2001 movie featured Julie Andrews and was directed by TV's Garry Marshall?
10) Give me the three names by which Uma Thurman's character was known in the Kill Bill movies. Only one helps you with the theme.