Before I give the solutions to last week, a question. Is anyone aware if the Fergie's quiz now features a (for lack of a better description) Secret Theme? It didn't for many years when I played there in the '90s, and it didn't a couple of years ago, the last time I did play there. I have no issue with that, I'm just curious because I had a conversation last night with someone who thought that was a feature now at that quiz. I expressed some surprise that a change was made after all these years, and the fellow then thought maybe he was misremembering. You folks who read this are big quiz junkies, so I thought I'd ask.
On to the issue at hand...
Ray's Happy Birthday Bar:
I'd been meaning to do this for some time. The theme was the lyric to R.E.M.'s "The End of the World (As We Know It)".
1) What Aussie post-punk band (1977-1983) did Nick Cave front before the Bad Seeds? The Birthday Party
2) Who was the leader of the Soviet Union in between Nikita Khrushchev and Yuri Andropov? Leonid Brezhnev
3) What famed rock critic did Philip Seymour Hoffman play in the 2000 movie Almost Famous? Lester Bangs
4) What musician was born Saul Hudson in England in 1965? Slash
5) What comedian was arrested in Miami in 1951 for impersonating a priest? Lenny Bruce
6) In 1910, American amateur geologist Frank Bursley Taylor was first to publish a paper about what now generally accepted geologic concept? Continental drift
7) In the 2006 animated feature The Ant Bully, what did the ants call "sweetrocks"? Jelly beans
8) What term do biologists use to describe interdependence between species? Symbiosis (the word "symbiotic" is in the lyric)
9) What Beatles song reached #1 in December 1964, has the B-side "She's a Woman", and appeared on LP in the US on the album Beatles '65? "I Feel Fine"
10) What NBA expansion team joined the league in 1970 and has played at the Quicken Loans Arena since 1994? Cleveland Cavaliers
As part of the One Film program, the theme was a movie title: The Princess Bride.
The first two answers are a reference to Andre the Giant.
1) What 1981 movie was directed by Louis Malle, had a screenplay written by the two main characters and was filmed in an abandoned hotel in Richmond, VA as a stand-in for an operating hotel in Manhattan? My Dinner with Andre, which also starred Wallace Shawn, another Princess Bride reference
2) For what 1956 film did George Stevens win the Best Director Oscar? Giant
3) What 1968 B-movie about terrorizing bikers is best remembered for its soundtrack, which featured Cream and Iron Butterfly? The Savage Seven / Fred Savage
4) What well-known American actor was featured as "Der Filmstar" in the 1987 Wim Wenders Palme d'Or-winning film Der Himmel über Berlin? Peter Falk
5) Who played Jenny Curran in Forrest Gump? Robin Wright
The next three references are to the Billy Crystal character Miracle Max.
6) What 1988 thriller about the end of the world featured Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham and was directed by Steve DeJarratt? Miracle Mile
7) Who played God in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) and then Satan in Needful Things (1993)? Max von Sydow
8) What 1982 movie took place on the planet Thra? The Dark Crystal
The final two answers reference the title of the movie.
9) What popular 2001 movie featured Julie Andrews and was directed by TV's Garry Marshall? The Princess Diaries
10) Give me the three names by which Uma Thurman's character was known in the Kill Bill movies. Only one helps you with the theme. The Bride, Black Mamba and Beatrix Kiddo