Monday, September 3, 2007

In the Bay Area? Go see James Tantum's art immediately!

James Tantum (link to his website, visit it and buy!) is a good friend and a local lad made good who moved out to SF a few years back to pursue his art education and aspirations. He's a mixed media artist who does a lot of self-referential stuff that's easier to enjoy than explain or categorize. I'm no "art person," but I know what I like, and I've enjoyed his work through the years.

If you're anywhere near Space 47 in San Jose, CA you should hie yourself to the reception September 7, or at least see the show before it closes October 13. I just received a post card of Jim, naked, holding his junk in his hands. This is a good example of why my letter carrier has no respect for me. I see from the description below that this is a retrospective including many of the incredible activities I witnessed the creation of while he still lived in Philadelphia.
"SPACE 47 is pleased to present its inaugural exhibition, Some Parts of the Whole, featuring new work by San Francisco based artist James Tantum. This exhibition marks Tantum's first solo exhibition in San Jose. While he works in various media from drawing to video installation, his artistic endeavor is connected to a larger theme of human existence.

Tantum's work documents his existence through graphs, interviews, calendars, and intimate personal videos. His focus is to experiment with the particulars of everyday living while amplifying the uneventful, such as only eating oatmeal for a week, interviewing friends about his hair, or offering an introspective perspective on what he finds to be his shortcomings."

No comments: