Sunday, August 16, 2009

Face to face with America's right wing health care paranoiacs

Soooo... there my fiancee and I are, having a Saturday morning breakfast at a local diner, and no sooner do I shake some Tabasco on my omelette then I overhear one of those conversations that must be challenged. I prefer not to have unchallenged fascism with my breakfast.

A 40-ish couple is standing about 8 feet from us at the counter, talking to the senior citizen next to us in worried theater tones about health care. Actually it's almost all her talking, and really what she's trying to do is scare the living crap out of the old man, and by extension anyone within earshot, with agit-prop of the lowest order.

After mentioning a few times that she "works in health insurance," so, like, she would kno
w this sort of thing, and, I suppose in her feeble mind, this is a trustworthy profession, she starts telling the old guy - and I swear this is damn near verbatim - that "there are a lot of countries in Europe where they ask if you want to die when you turn 80."

Immediately I know who I'm dealing with, the gibbering fucknuts
who comprise the only barrier between our beloved Christian nation and Chairman Abdul Hussein Obama's evil masterplan of soshoolized medhisunn. But with the help of Sean Hannity and Jesus - in that order - they will valiantly defeat any attempt for working people to see a proctologist while the tumor can be removed in time.

The old man responds "They kill you at 80?"

Heck, why not notch it up a bit? In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Health insurance bitch responds, "Yes, they kill you at 80. They ask you how you want to die."

At this point hubby helpfully adds, "They do some math [this concept alone must blow their minds like a Pink Floyd laser show at the planetarium], and figure it's cheaper to kill you than help you."

Health insurance twat adds, "Yeah, they just kill you. They ask you how you want to die. I'm not sure which countries, I forget... yeah... a lot of countries in Europe, I forget which ones, they kill you at 80." Right wingers generally forget the specifics of their facts, which is in almost all cases because they aren't facts and therefore have no details.

This is all I can stands, and I can't stands no more. My tea hasn't even kicked in yet, this is way too early in the day to start fighting Hitler's learning disabled great-niece.

In a few seconds I'm contemplating throwing some rational stats at her about how the US is the industrialized world's health care shit puddle, or if I should just be Angry Guy and tell her to shut her brownshirt face while people are trying to eat. I contemplate briefly asking her to name one of the countries she suspects might have a Soylent Green program in place, or if she's ever been to Europe, or if she knows anyone who's ever been to Europe, or in fact if she is in any way familiar with Europe outside of their international hit "The Final Countdown."

I decide that at this hour, to maximize the ridicule of her idea for anyone within earshot, the way to go is hyperbole and sarcasm.

I look over, smile, make eye contact and announce "Fifty! I heard about this too, in Europe they kill you when you reach 50. It's cheaper."

I'm not yet sure where I'm going with this, and it's going to depend on her reaction, which I assume will be that I must be lowballing the death age, and then the absurdist haggling may begin, hopefully leading to some unscrambling of her pea brain's cognitive dissonance.

She smiles back and steps a few steps toward me, immediately recognizing an ally. "Yeah, I thought I heard that, I wasn't sure if the number was 80 or 50." Y'know, in nice even increments of 30 years... very easy to confuse.

I am dumbfounded. Now, still chewing eggs, staring three feet into the dead-behind-the-eyes fish-stare of the terminally ignorant, I repeat, smiling, "Yep, in Europe they KILL you at age FIFTY, right?"

"Yes, that's it, they save money by killing you at fifty. And they're gonna start-"

Me, "Uh, you aren't in any way familiar with the concept of irony..?"

Her, "Yea-, uhhh..."

"You actually believed me when I said they kill people in Europe at 50? You think I'm serious?"

I don't hear exactly what she says next, because at this point I can't pretend not to be pissed off any longer. My fiancee says something about how she would naturally be spreading lies as a health insurance provider, hubby is gibbering some Rush Limbaugh crap, and I pretty much yell "You are the dumbest person I have ever met!" which draws even more attention to our area.

In fairness, she is likely not the dumbest person I have ever met, because babies don't know shit yet. Babies aside, she's down there.

Hubby starts clutching her and saying something about how "it's not very nice" to say that and that I'm "not a very nice person." It was like being verbally assaulted by Ned Flanders. I also love how scaring an old man shitless about the government helping him see a doctor is presumably the nice thing to do, and stopping that makes me a villain. But these are right wingers, and therefore bullies when allowed to rant/wusses when confronted, and they start walking away and she says "[I] better do [my] research", which just makes me laugh. This woman couldn't research the location of the nearest library at the reference desk of her nearest library.

I assume by "do some research" she means suck up the mad ravings of Glenn Beck without question.

The pair walk up to the diner's manager before stompng out and tell on me. He comes up and is smiling, says that some people can't take a joke, that she asked that I be removed, and when I fill him in on the Europe thing - the family who runs the diner are Greek - he laughs it off. I agree not to scare away any more customers. When paying the bill he jokingly asks the kid at the counter to watch out for me because I'm a troublemaker. At least I ruined their meal plans.

Here's a troubling thought: this woman is working in health insurance, and might be deciding whether or not you get a needed operation. Now, would you feel better with the government paying for your health care regardless of what you need, or would you rather roll the dice with the intellectual bastard children of Ayn Rand and Elmer Fudd?

Incidentally, let's have a little fun with the stats.

Life Expectantcy at Birth, from the the World Factbook of those commie bastards at the CIA:


Rank
country( years) Date of Information

1Macau
84.36
2009 est.

2Andorra
82.51
2009 est.

3Japan
82.12
2009 est.

4Singapore
81.98
2009 est.

5San Marino
81.97
2009 est.

6Hong Kong
81.86
2009 est.

7Australia
81.63
2009 est.

8Canada
81.23
2009 est.

9France
80.98
2009 est.

10Sweden
80.86
2009 est.

11Switzerland
80.85
2009 est.

12Guernsey
80.77
2009 est.

13Israel
80.73
2009 est.

14Iceland
80.67
2009 est.

15Anguilla
80.65
2009 est.

16Cayman Islands
80.44
2009 est.

17Bermuda
80.43
2009 est.

18New Zealand
80.36
2009 est.

19Italy
80.20
2009 est.

20Gibraltar
80.19
2009 est.

21Monaco
80.09
2009 est.

22Liechtenstein
80.06
2009 est.

23Spain
80.05
2009 est.

24Norway
79.95
2009 est.

25Jersey
79.75
2009 est.

26Greece
79.66
2009 est.

27Austria
79.50
2009 est.

28Faroe Islands
79.44
2009 est.

29Malta
79.44
2009 est.

30Netherlands
79.40
2009 est.

31Luxembourg
79.33
2009 est.

32Germany
79.26
2009 est.

33Belgium
79.22
2009 est.

34Saint Pierre and Miquelon
79.07
2009 est.

35Virgin Islands
79.05
2009 est.

36United Kingdom
79.01
2009 est.

37Finland
78.97
2009 est.

38Jordan
78.87
2009 est.

39Isle of Man
78.82
2009 est.

40Korea, South
78.72
2009 est.

41European Union
78.67
2009 est.

42Puerto Rico
78.53
2009 est.

43Bosnia and Herzegovina
78.50
2009 est.

44Saint Helena
78.44
2009 est.

45Cyprus
78.33
2009 est.

46Denmark
78.30
2009 est.

47Ireland
78.24
2009 est.

48Portugal
78.21
2009 est.

49Wallis and Futuna
78.20
2009 est.

50United States
78.11
2009 est.

The good news is that you won't necessarily be reaching 80 to be killed by the government. Hooray! Three guesses which two of those places hasn't made health care a right (which, incidentally, Obama's plan doesn't do either, which is what someone would expect from a guy who took $20 million from the health industry in a presidential campaign.)

Thus I encountered one of the lunatic Town Hall shouting people described in this excellent piece by David Michael Green who find Obama not far enought to the right, and are so whacked out on 30 years of steady neo-fascist propaganda that they call his expensive bid to save capitalist health insurance from itself
soshoolized medhisunn.

Update: it appears that one of these wingnuts is now claiming to have been beaten up by a bunch of union members at a St. Louis health care Town Hall event, so severely that he needs a wheelchair and can't talk (?!). Interestingly video taken from mid-range suggests that he pushed one of the union members to the ground, and would have beaten him if not scared away by other union folks. After the incident the union member had a dislocated shoulder, and the right winger was walking around and yelling. These people are not only engaging in brownshirt tactics, they are accusing the people they attack of doing the same. Very scary... very 1933, very Reichstag fire.
Digg!Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Bizarro said...

Whoa there, soldier. Is that the U.S. Virgin Islands at 35? See how creative thinking just increased your life span? That's the American way, dammit!

Chris Randolph said...

I believe this is the British Virgin Islands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Virgin_Islands