Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Jackass Joey Vento gets it wrong again

I should preface my comments by saying that I have a history with Geno's "English-only" campaign (or as I like to think of it, their "Anglo-Saxon American authority reams your ass" campaign.)

I even put my quizzo rep on the line at a Johnny Goodtimes-arranged event in which I soundly beat a Vento supporter head-to-head in order to raise some cash for the Nationalities Service Center.

Coming home from the Ray's game last night, I couldn't help but notice the mannequin above on display with Vento's conspicuous consumption collection of low-performance, overrated and poorly made "American" motorcycles. (Hey Joey, did youse know Harleys are assembled in the US to sucker jingoistic tools like you into thinking they're "made" here? Most of their jobs are overseas.)

It seems that in the constrained mind of the nationalist bigot, the conception of anything they enjoy or consider to be iconic must needs be from the same country and culture as themselves. Oddly in this example we're dealing with such a case of cognitive dissonance that the subject appears to have turned a continental European character into an English- speaking American!

For the record, Frankenstein's monster was not American and we have no reason to believe he spoke English. Victor Frankenstein was born in Geneva, Switzerland and went to university at Ingolstadt, Germany. I should think that since he taught the monster to speak he spoke French (you might prefer to call it "Freedom Tongue") or an Alpine dialect of German. Even the author, Mary Shelley, was not American. Wrong again, Joey, even in your moments of prejudiced attempted whimsy. I pass Geno's regularly, and I'm not sure what your employees are speaking, but it ain't gonna get them far on the SAT Verbal, let's put it that way.

1 comment:

Mame Dennis said...

Ya know... I wanted to go to Geno's for a cheesesteak, but I like provolone on my steaks. I didn't know the English word for it. So I went to Pat's where I could order in Italian and get the cheese that I wanted.